Re: Coolant fluid

Before you noticed the low level in the surge tank when was the last
time you checked the coolant level? If it was recently or you suspect
any type of a coolant leak, a pressure test never hurts. Otherwise
make sure that you regularly inspect the coolant level. And of course
did your fans come on? On my car the cooling fans don't normally come
on untill the needle is right below the same line that you're talking
about. If I've read previous messages correctly, this is too high a
temp for the fans to come on. If this is the case, then Fanzilla will
NOT cure this. Fanzilla is a bypass for the factory installed relay
that turns the cooling fans on. It helps to prevent a strain on the
electrical system when the fans are powered up. Both Fanzilla and the
factory installed relay/wiring are signaled by the otterstat for when
to activate the fans. The otterstat is located in/on the coolant pipe
in the engine compartment on the left side of the car. While the
engine running @ this temperature isn't damaging, it does get robbed
of power. Make sure that for your fans you have the upgraded circuit
breakers and that you DON'T have the blue fan fail relay installed.
Since you said when you picked up speed your temp went down, your
radiator is fine. My car has the 3-layer radiator, no Fanzilla, 5/150
antifreeze (orange) and operates in around 115°-120° heat on a
daily
basis. That's the weather, not my coolant! And with the exception of
the otterstat, everything works great! The next chance I get I will
be driving the D over the hill thru Death Vally to REALLY put the
radiator to the test!
Procedures for flushing and refilling the cooling sytem can be
found in the technical library. The instructions there are better
then the workshop manual. Just remember to always use distilled
water. Only use tap water in an absolute emergency! Regular distilled
from the grocery store is just fine. "Scientificly Pure" water from
the auto parts store is the same thing only more expensive. Unless
you live in an area where the DeLorean will be exposed to freezing
temps or extreme heat, a 50/50 mixture will be fine. I use a 65/35
because of the environment I'm in. As far as cooling efficiency vs.
mixture, I don't know. But give Prestone a ring @ 1-800-862-7737,
they should be able to tell you. If you have any other questions e-
mail me.

-Robert
vin 6585