Vixen Goes to Cleveland... Part III

Better late than never, right? You've heard most of the story from
everyone else about the show. All I'll add it is my sincere
appreciation to everyone who had a hand in organizing it. It was truly
an unbelievable event.

As for my view of it... it started at about 7am outside of the DMC
Houston mobile home. By this point, Stephen Wynne had gotten used to
seeing me on his doorstep each morning anxiously awaiting my fuel pump.
It finally arrived, and I put it in post haste. The new problem was
that Vixen now "cycled" up and down in RPMs severely, and would bearely
maintain an idle. It seems the new fuel pump was a slightly different
pressure than the old, and it was wreaking havoc on the sensitive
K-Jetronic plumbing.

Up until this point, all I had wanted to do was drive my
half-resurrected D over to the show. This was my goal. This would be
my victory; my vindication over the folks who said it couldn't be
done... but... it just was not to be. I couldn't keep her running long
enough to drive her across the parking lot, let alone over to the show.
With a heavy heart, I muscled her back up on the trailer and dragged her
over to the show.

Arriving at the pier, Ken Koncelik pointed me to a space where he wanted
the car to be displayed. However, I had already pulled too far up onto
the pier, and for those of you who have ever used a car dolly, you know
that you simply cannot back up. It's like trying to push a piece of
chain... they pivot in too many directions at once. Sooo... I unhooked
the D to push her off in order to free the trailer and allow me to get
out of the way.

I jumped in the Vixen, put her in Reverse, and bumped the starter to
bump her downn off the ramp. To my complete and utter suprise, she took
off backwards like a bat out of hell -- running strongly and perfectly.

Now normally I would consider this a Good Thing, however, with the three
inches of water sloshing around inside the car, it made it nearly
impossible for my wet size 13 boots to stay on the pedals long enough to
stop the car. I was flying backwards at great speed... heading directly
at another D. The look of terror on the owners' faces was likely only
matched by my own petrified mug as I slammed the emergency brake and
swung the wheel hard left. The car spun 180, and stalled.

There was a stunned silence for a moment as everyone tried to figure out
exactly what had just transpired. I had wanted a grand entrance. I
guess -that- was accomplished, and then some. I regained my composure a
bit, restarted the car, and with a bit more control, parked her where
she was supposed to be.

Aside from a severe sunburn, the show went well. I truly enjoyed having
the "Visible Vixen" available for others to see. Few folks ever get the
opportunity to see what I have stared at every day for the last seven
months -- a D sans skin.

At the end of the show, I decided to 'make a run' for the parking area.
The car cooperated fully and I achieved a simple goal... one I had
looked forward to for months. I shifted into second gear. =)

And that's the story of Vixen's trip to Cleveland.

-Dave Stragand
http://www.ProjectVixen.com
VIN #05927