New Engine - Technical

I realized that my first message on my car was rather flowery, which is
fine, but I must now provide some technical supporting details.

I don't remember the final dyno numbers, but the engine comes in at about
200HP. Don't know the torque. This info will undoubtedly make it's way
onto DMC's web site ( http://www.usadmc.com/Performance/Engine/engine.asp ).
Nor have I gotten and 0-60 times, but I do have the performance meter from
G-Tech ( http://pw1.netcom.com/~shapiro3/gtech.htm ) and plan on having
those numbers soon.

We started with a NOS crate engine, since my original had 100k+ miles. I
was concerned about storage damage but the motor looks and behaves like new.
>From my original I kept the air cleaner box, A/C compressor and alternator,
but not much else. The new engine got ported and polished heads with new
cams. As far as I know, the block was untouched (i.e., the cylinders
weren't bored, the pistons are the same, etc.). The exhaust system was
replaced with new headers and dual catalytic converters to improve exhaling.

It's hard to believe, but the stock configuration has the right-side exhaust
bank going around the engine at the firewall to the left bank, where the two
meet and enter the muffler in one pipe, despite there being two exhaust
pipes! With the new setup, you keep your muffler but it's converted to a
two-in, two-out configuration. I think it's actually quieter now.

I believe that nothing was done to the fuel system, except to replace some
minor items to ensure adequate flow. The fuel pump, fuel distributor,
injectors, etc., all stayed. Nor was there any real change to the ignition
system, as I still have a distributor, etc., but there are some extra
electronics. Not sure what that's for.

Stephen is planning other updates to the ignition system and fuel system,
but those are still pending. It is possible that with a distributorless
ignition and EFI, this motor could get above 250HP. Normally aspirated!

>From looking at the whole thing, it's difficult to tell it's not a stock
setup until you see the exhaust system. (Photos to come!) Forgot to ask
about the spark plugs, but I am definitely now on a strict diet of Premium
Unleaded. Anyway, it's had over 3000 miles on it, so far so good. The
cooling system is stock and my temp stayed constant throughout the trip home
from Houston, where I averaged about 25 MPG.

The brake pads are some carbon-fiber blend that have reduced high-temp fade
yet don't need to be hot before they work. and they do pull the car down
nicely.

The lowering springs were a blessing, and match very well with the
Delorean-spec custom shocks. The shocks are pricey ( ~ $150/corner) but
considering the fronts can't be had anymore at all, it's a steal!
Seriously, the difference from stock to what I have now is astonishing, like
night and day.

Anyway, I plan on showing off at the Saturday-night "classic car showoff
spot" at the Antique Mall of Texas
http://www.antiquetexas.com/ait/html/amtmap.htm ) if anyone in the area
wishes to join me there.

Gus Schlachter