Re: [DML] 18k or 14k

>From someone who has been down the 14K road(that's what I paid for mine
& that's what I paid to have mine brought back to respectability), BUY
THE 18K DELOREAN!
Especially if you do not do much work on the car yourself and are going
to have to pay a reputable shop to it get done. The repairs that you
have described already will bring the cost of the 14K car up to the 18K
price point atleast.
Every time you get into your 14K car you will see, feel & hear what the
possible defects are and will, if you are like me, be compelled to get
them taken care of asap to bring your car back to respectability.
And trust me you will want to fixup this great car, because no one wants
to own a classic sports car and drive it around looking like crap or
worse stranding you in the middle of traffic pushing it to the curb!
Negotiate the best price for the 18K Delorean based on your knowledge of
the car gleaned from this list and other places, Like DMC Houston buyers
checklist and the words of the seller. Use the speedo and not knowing
the exact mileage, as a possible bargaining chip. That being said you
could also run a carfax report on the vehicle if you don't completely
trust the seller as to the mileage, which may or may not help you but
could be money well spent.

Then do not make the mistake of turning this fine car into a daily
driver until you, a reputable shop that knows DMC's or one of the DMC
repair shops around the US gives the car a tune-up and checks out the
car for gas tank contamination & the possible deterioration of all vital
components, especially rubber i.e.. cooling, fuel, steering, linkages &
motor mounts after years of limited use.
The price of confidence in your car is not cheap, but gratifying to have
while your out on the road testing the cars limits.
After all that has been addressed, preventive matenance is the key.
THEN..........
Smile when the doors to your dream car open, as it glistens in the sun.
Proud to be the owner of a unique limited automobile built to turn
heads.
Let someone else trailer their dream car around, I prefer to DRIVE &
ENJOY mine
Thank You!

Gary
(never let me down because I won't give it the chance)

nskalsky@xxxx wrote:

> HI, I've been researching the Delorean Motor Company, the dmc-12
for the past couple years. alot of my information came right from this
list.
I was wondering if I could get some advice.
I currently have two possiblitys for my first delorean.
> a 81' 5speed with 9,000 miles, I drove it, rus great, absolutly
> flawless in apperance, not to say what the condition of it
> mechanicaly after sitting so much. I did check for frame rust and I couldnt find
> any. the engine starts right up with out hessitation and seems to
> idle and drive smooth and consistant. the owner wants 18,900 for it.
> The biggest catch is that when I drove it the Sped. and Odometer
> didnt work, he said they worked the last time he drove it about a month
> ago.
> I belive that the car is at least close to this reading because the
> origional tires still have alot of tread left. I intend on driveing
> this car everyday, in the summer and storing it for the michigan
> winters. so I'm not sure if I should buy a 9,000 mile car and drive
> it alot when it probably should be preserved as it is.
The other car is a 81' 5speed with 49,000miles. new clutch, some other
new stuff,