Re: [DML] NO 3rd or 4th fan speed

> Nick Kemp wrote:
>
> Note that this tidbit was picked up from the aviation business where they do
> a lot of crimped connections. Soldered and crimped is either HIGHLY
> discouraged or unacceptable, I forget which. A good crimped connection is
> more than adequate. Using a good ratcheting style crimper should produce a
> very good connection.

I was in aircraft maintenance for 6 years on the B-52 specializing in radar
and navigation instruments in general. Crimping at a connector was NEVER
acceptable, at least not with signal and/or low power wires. Neither was any
type of splice. Crimping provides an excellent "mechanical" connection but is
not considered to be an acceptable "electrical" connection, at least not by the
U.S. Air Force. Connections are typically made at the "black box" and bulkheads
using "cannon plugs" having pins with solder wells on the back side. Soldering
pins on a cannon plug is somewhat of an art. I should point out that all of the
connectors had some sort of integral strain relief where there would never be any
strain placed on the soldered connection. If a wire was broken at the connector
and there was not enough "slack" to resolder to a new pin, the entire run of wire
had to be replaced. Absolutely NO splices were allowed. I worked with high
speed packaging machinery for nearly 30 years where crimped splices and crimped
connections were both entirely acceptable and routinely practiced. So were
soldered connections. The key is to do either "properly".

Ed Thompson (#6419 since 1982)