Re: (sorry, wrong) Re: [DML] door adjustment

Re: (sorry, wrong) Re: [DML] door adjustment

Bob. It's a shame that you had to go what you went through. I do believe that it is possible for that to happen, but I doubt it's common. I'm sure that a few cars left the factory with the carrier not properly installed. My original statement was for the 'masses'.... most won't have this happen to them. All I was trying to state was that the cars were not designed with the idea that if the peg is removed, the bolt assembly will fall into the pontoon. However, it doesn't suprise me that some cars left the factory with this defect. Maybe it was a problem on earlier cars that was fixed as production went on? I don't know. I was just speaking from my own experience regarding this issue. If mine didn't fall in, it was obviously designed that way.

---Dan Vin#5493

I removed the door pin on the passenger side of my D because the door was not
aligned properly from the day it was built. Sure enough the nut dropped into
the hole in the fiberglass side. I had to remove the inside cover over the
speaker. and cut a 3 inch hole into the fiberglass to get my hand in to find
the nut and hold it in place for the door peg. Afterwards. I drill an 8/32
hole and threaded it so I could put a long small screw in the plate to hold it
if I ever needed to remove the peg again.

As it turned out the housing for the door peg was set 1/4 off when molding the
fiberglass at the factory. I had to cut the adjustment plate to give more
movement in order for the door to lock properly. Initially it would only
single latch and not double latch. This took many hours to correctly diagnosis
and realign.

Bob