[DML] Re: DMC to Diamonds

At 11:38 AM 3/26/00 -0600, you wrote:
>> <snippity, snippity, snip>
>
>I'm not going to quote your article because (a) it makes many good points and (b) I'm not replying to any one part of the article, but the article as a whole.
>
>I think a point you are missing here though is that the BUYER is also dictating market price, at least subtly. If you want to push the price of the D up, then you've got to make sure that EVERY D owner selling a D is going to raise their prices at the same time. Of course, although the Internet is a strong tool, it's not all-powerful... and I can gather by the ratio of owners/enthusiasts on this list that this list maybe only goes out to a small
>percentage of current D owners, many (like myself) are enthusiasts who can't buy right now but probably will in the next few years.

I - snippity, snippity, snip
reply:

Nice reply and well thought out! clapity, clapity clap -

To a point your points are quite correct and very well taken, - however and I think it is the key
to true delorean prices and proper delorean prices has nothing what ever to do with the actual buyers. bare in mind that the general public perception a DeLorean is a 50K to 100K rear car.
It's only when you get into the real selling market you find they are dirt cheap at 12 to 15K for
the average ride.

My point of establishing a proper price is of course un workable unless all owners join in. And believe it! this approach works, if you doubt it just look at the "Gasoline prices" not at the barrel level but at the pump level. The refinery is setting an arbitrary price which the stations must base their prices on. This has nothing what ever to do with their cost. This is not an opinion, I can actually see the cracking towers from my roof (on a real clear day) and gasoline at a station down the street (less than 5 miles from where it is manufactured) is 20 to 30 cents more than the exact same product trucked 400 miles south LA.

While I point a finger at no one, it is clear that the biggest factor in the current price is the attitude of many of the new buyers. It's clear that they really can't afford an expensive sports car, nor it's up-keep. I doubt seriously that what I suggest will become an actuality but so far as I can see it's us owners that have poor mouthed our cars and the only reason the prices are what they are. With the 100 million car buyers or so in the USA verses our few DeLoreans there are plenty of potential buyers who can and will pay a proper price for a DeLorean.

Economics are a very funny set of circumstances that on the one hand make all the sense in the world and on the other violates all common sense........In the end I seriously doubt that it is the Internet and DML that holds down the price.

Lee

CAUTION : Any individual or group discharging a nuclear device or weapon
inside Los Angeles city limits may be fined $500 - and/or serve 30 days in county jail.

It's the LAW!