[DML] Re: Door STRUT problems

David,

The doors will not stay open without the torsion bar. Interestingly enough, the
doors will not stay open without the gas strut either. (There's some really
interesting physics/engineering involved in those cold rolled bars!) Long story
short, the strut acts more like a shock absorber, preventing the door from
"flying off" the car when you open it. It also acts to slow down the action when
you close the door too. In either case, the gas strut does not have the guts to
carry the weight of the door (not by a long shot!).

As I recall, it takes approx. 600 ft-lbs of torque to set the torsion bar
correctly. (When you're ratchet broke... you didn't clip the rear window, by
chance, did you?) It takes a good 1/2 pull bar (not a ratchet) and a long 18"
extension _and_ a jig to do this adjustment properly. The way I've set mine, er,
the way I USED to set mine, I built a jig from a 4x4 about 5-6 feet long. I
routed a 1/2" deep 1/2" wide dado in the top, opposite the torsion bar(s) and two
notches underneath to ride the stainless rails above the rear windows. This jig
is there to help steady the pull bar and extension you'll use to connect to and
set the torsion bar. Use a couple of quick grip clamps and attach the 4x4 jig
to the car. You and a buddy then work together in setting the bar and locking it
into position. One guy mans the pull bar, the other tests the door bounce (or
rebound). If you're the guy with the pull bar, consider investing in a good
3-4' piece of iron pipe. Use this as an extension to your pull bar. When your
buddy lets the door go (from the normally closed position) it should bounce once
(maybe twice... at most!) and come to rest in the full upright position. Then
set the lock on the torsion bar... and you are done.

Again... the gas strut must be in position when you set this adjustment. Its a
dynamic system. And be VERY careful about the socket attaching to the torsion
bar. If it lets loose, under that kind of pressure, there's a good chance you'll
be needing the replace the rear window. So take your time. Be careful. Do it
right and you'll never have to adjust it again.

Michael
dearly departed 4875