[DML] Re: New to the list and looking for a DeLorean

[DML] Re: New to the list and looking for a DeLorean

I couldn't agree more with this posting! Before you purchase a D, you
should do a certain amount of homework first. Knowing what to look for
will save you not only some $ in the future, but if you're a true
enthusist, it will save you ALOT of heartache as well! If you can, get
in touch with someone in your area who already owns a D, and knows a
little bit about the car as well. That way, you can get a feel for the
car, and decide if a DeLorean is the right car for you. In other words,
what will you use the car for (daily driver, show car only, etc...),
and will you be comfortale with it for your purpose? What you should
also do is keep at least $2K minimum ($4K prefered) aside for after the
purchase of the car just incase something does go wrong since after
all, nothing is predictable. For a good daily driver, look to spend a
minimum of no less than $16.5K. This encompasses both a car that needs
some TLC, and will make up the difference in repairs, and one that is
ready to go as soon as you pick it up. No matter where you live, expect
to travel to find your car! The one closest to you is probably not
going to be the one you want. On a more personal note, would advise NOT
to buy a car sight unseen. Find out what the climate is like in the
area where the car is comming from. My rule of thumb is an arid climate
will preserve the irreplaceable parts (chassis, suspension, etc...),
while a wet climate will only preserve the replaceable (rubber hoses,
door seals, etc...), unless of course, it's been garaged all it's life.
The most important thing of all, know the differnce between "TLC", and
"blind devotion". The car that Wayne descirbed below, sounds like a
typical car "that just needs a little TLC", because it only needs minor
to moderate repairs at the most completed. "Blind Devotion" would be
where the complete suspension on the car, and the chassis are both
rusted, and you'd probably be looking at thousnands of dollars to get
thoses componets repaired/replaced. And that's just for thoses 2 items!
But don't let all this intimidate you in your search. Once you find the
right car, you'll know it! Aside from the obvious, money, the 2 most
important tools that you can use are knowlege, and patience. Both will
aid you in all your decisions.

-Robert