[DML] Re: Tires

On Sat, 4 Mar 2000 sgskbm@xxxx wrote:

> 3. They had to put the wheel weights on the inside of the tires.
>
> 4. There is a "new" shimmy in the front end in that stearing wheel
> shakes so I guess that I have to get them re-balanced.

A couple of things having to do with Yokohama AVS tires and balancing in
general:

The AVS Intermediate has a little red arrow on it. This arrow should be
lined up with the valve stem. Many tire places don't know this. If the
arrow is not near the valve stem, the balancing process will be very hard.

Don't let Billy-bob from the local tire store put the tires on your car.
Even reputable tire chains like Discount Tire frequently screw this up.
Much as it may be a hassle, you should either go to a performance shop of
some sort, or do it yourself. Otherwise, he will put the lug nuts on with
a big air impact wrench, risking damaging the brake rotors.

> I did put the stock sizes on the car but I do wonder if I should have
> used bigger sizes.

Can't go wrong with stock. It's hard finding any sort of oversize tires
to go in the front that will fit, match the wheels in width, and not upset
the overall tire diameter.