[DML] What is a turning Radius?

I just ran around the web looking for turing radius data for vehicles
that I could use for comparison. Below is some of what I found,
including references.

Dodge Omni: 12.5 feet
http://www.sixfoot6.com/omni/fourth.htm

Subaru Forester: 38.3 feet*
http://www.cars101.com/forester.html

Hummer: 26.5 feet
http://boardwatch.internet.com/mag/97/aug/bwm1.html

Dodge Dakota: 35.8 feet*
http://www.fourwheeler.com/newtrucks/roadtest/dakota/dakota.html

Mercedes ML320: 37 feet*
http://www.leader.net/autos/was03-21.htm

Mazda MPV: 36.1 feet*
http://cars.bestrate.com/testdrive/1996/mazda_mpv.html

Standard city bus: 30 feet
http://www.fta.dot.gov/fta/library/reference/CUTS/frchap3.htm

I could go on and on. This data tells me two interesting things:

First, I found plenty of data about the low speed turning radius of
trucks and SUVs, but almost no data on sports cars. Apparently sports
car enthusiasts do not care about low speed turning radius as much as
off road enthusiasts do.

Second, many of the articles use the word "radius" when they mean
"diameter." I think some people have no idea how to measure a radius.
For example, the MPV review says "With a turning circle of only 36.1
feet, an MPV can complete a circle inless space than any other minivan,
matching the turning radius of the Honda Accord Wagon." I think that
they misleadingly include the word radius in a sentence about
diameters. So the turning radius of the MPV might be 36.1 feet of 18.05

feet, depending on interpretation.

Thus I believe some of the numbers I have preseted above are deceptive.
The four marked with an * probably refer to diameter, not radius.

Likewise, when the DeLorean Gold Portfolio says the DeLorean turning
radius is 30 feet, I think they mean diameter. I am pretty sure that my

DeLorean can turn a circle that is less than 60 feet across! The real
DeLorean turning radius is probably about 15 feet, tracing a 30 foot
circle, otherwise I could never get into a parking space!

- Mike Substelny
VIN 1280, 7 years