[DML] Re: Quality Price/Performance (was: Restoring a D)

[DML] Re: Quality Price/Performance (was: Restoring a D)

I would think a good rule of thumb would be if YOU can do most of the
work then I would say buy a cheaper one, but being not so
mechanically inclined, as I am, all of the work would have to be done
at a mechanics shop----> labor ----> expensive!

I purchased my 1983 DMC from the original owner last September, and
he had all of the receipts dating back to 1983. The car was one of
the best looking ones I had ever seen, very clean, he only drove the
car sparingly. It only had 35k miles on it. I purchased the car for
approximatley $15k, then I took it up to Don and had him do a check
on the car. To my dismay he did about $1800 worth of work on it, all
engine related (slave cyl, accumulator, etc...), but now I use this
car now everyday and have no complaints. I just wanted to drive the
car and not worry about anything, I am no mechanic.

I beleive one thing that restricts these cars from selling for a
higher price than what they do now, is getting them worked on. I
know that was one of the biggest factors for me NOT getting one, and
I live in San Diego- 70 miles from DON! I probably would not have
purchased one if I lived 1000 miles from a knowledgable mechanic,
people think I am crazy for having to take my car to LA to get it
worked on! :-)

VIN 16367