[DML] Re: master cylinder prices

Jess wrote:

> Um, with all of the talk of this, and having recently purchased a slave
> cylinder myself, I decided to investigate the ACTUAL price for these
> components.
>
>> From DMC Houston: Part#100462, Price: $153.10
>> From PJ Grady: Part#100462, Price: $153.10
>
> certainly VERY reasonable when compared to the $260 that's being
> tossed about.

I'm a little amused that no one else seems to have caught the discrepancy
here. Dave was talking about a #105543 BRAKE master cylinder, which indeed
lists for $257.50 last I heard. The #100462 part is the CLUTCH master
cylinder which lists for $153.10. Apples and oranges, folks.

I have to agree with Dave totally. As a DMC part dealer for 14 years, I
certainly understand the benefit and necessity of using original parts
whenever possible. But I wouldn't sell a 19 year old door strut if I had
one, because there are better choices. If the brake m/c he found says
Girling and has the same part number, then go for it. Now, in the interest
of stirring up the "interchangeable parts" pot even more, remember a few
months back when everyone was in a panic because Houston was out of clutch
master cylinders? Bet you didn't know they were also used on American cars.
American Motors cars, to be exact. Gremlin, Spirit (don't recall the exact
year, and can't find my paperwork). Try an EIS brand #Q83003. Just
remember where you heard it.

Don't blame DMC for the prices they have to charge in order to find the
exact right parts in Europe and import them in quantity. It takes a lot of
time and up-front capital to do that. But sometimes there are other
ways..... Until someone takes the time to search out this information (and
share it), we don't have many alternatives.

--
Darryl Tinnerstet
Specialty Automotive