[DML] Re: Fuel Pump Question/problem

First, can you start the car by spraying starter fluid into the intake (under the air filter?) while cranking?

If so, you have a problem getting fuel to the engine. It could be:
1. The fuel pump. Take the cover out of the wheel well and listen for it while someone tries to start the car.
If it sounds like it's working, then it might be the accumulator. It could also be broken fuel lines into or
out of the pump.
2. No sound from fuel pump. Take of the rubber cover over the pump. Are the wires rusted at the connection?
(oddly, the water drain for the windshield pours right onto this thing). If so, can you repair the wires? Check
for 12v with a meter. Could be bad fuel pump.
3. Emergency cut off switch, located behind the carpet near the clutch pedal. Black box with on/off pin.
Designed to shut the fuel pump off if you get hard enough to through the magnetic switch. These fail
pretty frequently (hey, they're old). You can try jumping it, but use similar guage wire, I found that trying to
jump it with a thin wire once and it didn't work, but a heavy guage wire did. PS: to work on it, you'll need to
unscrew it, keep the pin out, and then jump the wires (I can't remember the color combo, so use a meter
to check for 12v)
4. Idle control unit located where the fuses are. You can jump this, but frankly I can't remember how.
It's easiest to eliminate this by putting yours in another delorean (if you have one handy) and see if it
has the same effect.

Good luck - I replaced my fuel pump once, and it's not hard, but the hoses are old and not always
easy to find.

schaefer@xxxx on 01/13/2000 10:25:54 AM

Please respond to dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxx@Internet