[DML] Re: Door Harness

The wire looms from the doors terminate in connectors in the middle of the roof. To access them, you must remove the T-roof piece of stainless (easy enough), peel off the big piece of duct tape you will find under it, and remove the glued-on metal plate that serves as a cover to the wiring cavity. I am unsure whether the two sides of the lock wires join there or further upstream, but by accessing this location you will be able to determine unambiguously whether the short is in one of the doors (and if so, which one), or inside the vehicle. If the former, you could do the swap with the unused green/white wire (although you then couldn't use it for Daryl T's wonderful automatic door opener setup). By the way, the green/white wires go no further than the roof connector. Their mating positions in the connectors are empty.

If the fault is upstream from the roof connector, it isn't too hard to run new wires from there to the inside of the vehicle. You have to remove the rear headliner, under which you will find a big rubber grommet/bung thingie through which the loom enters the vehicle from the roof. Partially remove this grommet and squeeze the new wires through it. You can route them down the side without removing the speaker grill. While you're in there, you may as well run some extra wires so you can use those red/white wires into the doors in the future.

One note: in removing the T-roof on later production vehicles, there are two screws not mentioned in the service manual near the center of the door torsion bars that need to be loosened. These are apparently absent in early vehicles.

--pete lucas
(vin #6703)