[DML] Re: Electric Turbo

The turbodyne turbopac boosts to 4psi or so and has an electical valve which by-passes the module (IIRC). The Turbopac is also a LOT more expensive! The website has changed and I can't find the diagrams I remember, but this page has some more info:

http://www.turbodyne.com/products/1500.html

Martin

William T Wilson wrote:

On Tue, 11 Jan 2000 KayoOng@xxxx wrote:

> Check site for more info: <A
> HREF=""http://www.electricsupercharger.com/">http://www.electricsupercharger.com/">Elect ric Supercharger</A>
> or : http://www.electricsupercharger.com/

The eRam electric supercharger has obtained something of a poor
reputation, at least on the Porsche lists (www.rennlist.com).  It has been
determined through dyno testing that the eRam isn't terribly useful.
First, it produces extremely low boost indeed - only about 1 PSI.  Not
that they are lying about this, that's just all it does.  The problem is
the low CFM capacity of the unit.  At high engine speeds the eRam actually
is more restrictive than nothing at all!  This causes it to provide no
benefit whatsoever except "off the line" at low RPM.  This makes it
reasonable for improving drivability, especially perhaps with an automatic
transmission, but once again, it falls far short of a real turbo.