[DML] shifter adjustment

Soon after I bought my car in October 98 I had Don in Garden Grove give
it a check up. One of the things he said it needed was to have my
shifter adjusted. I couldn't tell as I've only driven one D which is
mine so I have no way of comparing it to others. Lately though, I feel
like a beginner manual driver trying to go through the gears. Sometimes
smoothly and sometimes difficult but never with grinding. Question is,
how do you adjust the shifter and can anyone do it. I hate to drive up
to Don's just for this but then again I don't want to damage anything
else (am I???). The clutch, cylinders, and fluid are all like new so
this isn't the problem. Can any transmission shop adjust the shifter?
Thanks, Fil.