[DML] Re: Gold DMC

In a message dated 12/31/1999 10:26:39 AM Eastern Standard Time,
chris@xxxx writes:

<< I read somewhere that the last car of the production line was finnished
off using left over panels from the 2 gold cars and that 2 other gold cars
were built in the USA. Is this true?, does anyone have any info on them or
know where they are now?
I have a pic of a DMC that someone has converted since by someone called
Carl.

Thanks

Chris >>

According to Mr.George McClurg,(production engineering Supt.)The cars
themselves were built on the factory floor up to the final stage of
assembly,till the point where the SS panels were assembled,(the panels in
themselves were built and plated in Germany, then the panels were brought
back to the factory, were they were stored in a security crib, with a 24 hour
Security guard, this crib became known as the Gold Crib, and a special crew
was assembled to hand assemble the two factory gold cars, they had to have
special security passes, and had to wear special clothing to keep from
scratching the gold plating,special certificates were issued to the people
that were involved in the assembly of the Gold cars by John Delorean,the cars
were completed by October 15,1981.
Also on the subject of factory painted cars the crash test cars that were
used for test purposes were painted White
including the rear Louvre the reason for painting these cars were,so that
there would not have reflections on the Video

Claude 000570.