[DML] Re: A Dupont DeLorean?

At 07:04 PM 11/19/99 EST, you wrote:
>Hello,
> I recently purchased a black 81 DeLorean that needs a fair amount of
>work. [Snip..............
.....snip]
>I also need a set of USED seats that are in decent condition. Also, Does any
>dealer out there sell carpet as a kit? DMC Houston does not yet sell kits
>but said they will in the near future. Carpet ALONE is over $1059.00 if each
>piece is bought separate. (I'm in high school and dont have that kind of
>money, is there another solution?)

Hello Dupont!

Yes there are some thing you can do to save on money.

First the easy part, Don't toss the seats, the can be recovered and with just a bit of effort you can do this your self. I would suggest posting to the LWL looking for a set of used seat covers an owner may be ready to toss. Most seats wear out on the sides and suffer from split seams, both are easily fixed using a needle and thread. Recovering is really very easy and only requires a pair of hog nose pliers and hog rings or you can use waxed carpet thread and a curved needle (which is what I used when I did my seats. My seats look factory new and can not be distinguished from the original installation.

Now the Carpets, I take it you mean the entire floor carpets and not the LOGO mats. If this is the case the solution is even easier. Go out and find a color match for your existing carpets and get a few yards. Pull the seats and center consol. Pull up the current carpet and use it as a pattern to cut the new carpet. You will have to remove some door flashing but this is no big deal. My guess is that you should be able to find a remnant for less than $50. My wife is always replacing the carpet in my work room when I spill some sort of nasty plastic goop on it. That room is 12'X14' and I doubt she has ever spent more than $25.

another thought:

Depending on the actual condition of the seats (including sun damage and ripped panels) it may possible to clean up and use the existing seats. If you like contact me privately at:

lseiler@xxxx

and I will help you reclaim the seats, is messy but a lot of fun. Like washing the Dog!

Lee

BTW:

Once upon a time I painted cars as a second job and can tell you that DuPont made a line of auto paint that would stick to any correctly prepared metal surface. It was called "Imron, or Imeron" (spl?) If you want to repair the damage and repaint, I suggest the same paint which is still available, but do at least 3 coats on the whole DMC. Don't attempt to just do the effected panels, it won't work no matter how well kept the paints color changes the moment it starts curing. This is also something you can do your self for the cost of the paint and rent of the painting gear. It's a lot of work but requires only average hand and eye skills. Less fun than washing a dog but more rewarding.
support@xxxx

NOTICE TO BULK EMAILER: Pursuant to US Code, Title 47, Chapter 5,
Subchapter II, 227, any and all unsolicited commercial e-mail sent
to this address is subject to a download and archival fee in the
amount of $500 US.
E-Mailing denotes acceptance of these terms.