[DML] Re: POLL: Stainless Steel Frame

I am not affiliated with Peearce Design, but I did ask the a couple of the
questions in the FAQ section on their website:

http://www.pearce-design.com/html/faq.html

There should be many answers to your doubts there, but I've copied the pertinent
ones here:

Q: Is the frame as strong as the original? - A rhetorical question
since it must be. Therefore, is it heavier? How much/little?
A: The new Stainless Steel frame without any coatings weighs 10
pounds more than the original frame with its epoxy coating. As
far as strength, the original frame would handle 130 FtLbs for
torque in the engine compartment, the new frame will handle 310
FtLbs of torque in the engine compartment with a calculated
correspondence throughout the frame.

Q: Did you deem it impossible to redesign the frame to allow for
the inherent lesser tensile strengths and moduli (?) of elasticity?
Did you consider other metals, and how much?
A: This was of course, the main concern. The frame overall is
stronger than the original and only 10 pounds heavier. We were
surprised that the weight only increased by 10 pounds. Some of
the weight may be saved on the new frame by not coating it with
anything.

Best Wishes,

Martin