[DML] a cooler DMC

Hi All,

Just a passing note on DMC-12 cooling.

The cooling problems of the DMC-12 are well known and documented Including
a very inexpensive minor modification out lined in a Delorean world
magazine article. The NCDMC recently had a "Bleed Kit Party" in which
members received the kits. So far the two that were installed have worked
to perfection and eliminated any chance of an "Air locked coolant problem".
An air lock is probably the most common reason that the DMC over heats,
and for some the hardest to correct. In most cases once any substantial air
is trapped in the coolant system, the over heating starts and as time
passes, becomes worse. Bleeding and refilling the coolant system was the
only way to resolve this problem. Add to this that an air lock can form
with out any opening or unsealing of the coolant system due to cavitation,
even the best maintained DMC-12 may develop heating problems. Past
replacement of the stock radiator with the metal double core unit the bleed
kit is the only practical solution that I am aware of.

How it Works!

The bleed kit is installed at the Bleed Screw Part # 10214, mounted in the
Thermostat cover part # 102140 (on the water pump) and connects the heater
Bleed hose part # 101760 that is a "tee" off the Heater hose and vents into
the Header Bottle part # 101944.
When the engine is running any entrapped air is entrained into the system
coolant and each time the engine speed drops past a certain point tends to
accumulate in any high spots in the coolant system. One of these is the
water pump. when the bleed kit is installed any entrapped air at the water
pump passes through the bleed screw to the Heater bleed hose and then into
the Header bottle which is now the highest point in the pressurized coolant
system. Each time the coolant is accelerated threw the system any entrained
air is circulated around the system until it is all bled off through the
bleed kit.
When I first got my DMC it was a classic case of heating problems. Once it
had been manually bled several times the temp stayed lower but still tended
to climb in stop and go town traffic, but did not over heat. Now with the
bleed kit installed it reaches normal operation level and stays there town
or high way conditions.
This is a system modification and I suspect that it will cost you points
in any concourse show.

Lee

support@xxxx

NOTICE TO BULK EMAILER: Pursuant to US Code, Title 47, Chapter 5,
Subchapter II, 227, any and all unsolicited commercial e-mail sent
to this address is subject to a download and archival fee in the
amount of $500 US.
E-Mailing denotes acceptance of these terms.