[DML] Windshield rearview spacer??

Someone earlier referred to a spacer that was manditory for mounting your rearview mirror.  It apparently insured that your windshield would not crack.

I have a black 1 1/2" square just above where the old rearview mirror was glued directly to the glass.  Shouldthe rearview mirror have been glued to this black pad?  Is the black square the spacer?  It looks as if it is embedded to the windshield.   Sorry if these are stupid questions.

Incidently,  the previous owner ofmy Delorean used a GM truck rearview mirror...and up to 2 minutes ago I thought it was the Delorean original....it works perfect.

I think rearview mirrors are yet another part DMC Houston doesn't have,  plus...who has time to wait for their terrificly fast shipping (6 weeks and 3 phone calls later) ....not that I'm bitter. :)

mike@xxxx