[DML] Gull wing doors, were they a safety item?

[DML] Gull wing doors, were they a safety item?

I recall that one of the reasons Gull Wing doors were selected for the
Delorean, in addition to looks, was that they were safer that conventional
doors. Supposedly they would take up to a 35 MPH side impact without
impinging on the driver.

On the other hand, side impact injuries are usually the result of the
occupant hitting the car and not the car hitting the occupant (that old
momentum law).