[DML] Re: The DeLorean's Gullwing doors

> Phil wrote:
>
> The 300SL stands for Super Light, Not Sport Light.

You are quite correct Phil. I was quoting a passage from "De Lorean Stainless
Steel Illusion" which is obviously incorrect. A whack on John Lamm's knuckles
for that! After further research I discovered that the SL designation does indeed
stand for "Super Leicht" or "Super Light".

The term "Gullwing" was not an official designation, but rather a nickname. Research
reveals that there were only 1400 300SL gullwing coupes produced from 1953 to 1957.
That's an average production of less than 300 units per model year. In 1957 the
gullwing coupes were discontinued in favor of the 300SL Roadster, of which 1858 were
built for model years 1957 to 1963.

As an aside, the sills on the 300SL coupe's gullwing doors were quite high and
rather cumbersome to negotiate. Unlike the DeLorean sills, they were only about
10 or 12 inches below the bottom of the window. With the introduction of the Roaster
in 1957 the gullwing doors disappeared, never again to return to a production Mercedes.

Regards,
Ed Thompson (#6419 since 1982)
Midlothian, VA