[DML] Re: DMC = Disassembled Motor Car

In a message dated 10/26/99 9:14:09 AM Hawaiian Standard Time,
dave.stragand@xxxx writes:

> I realize that while under both my time and monetary constraints, I will
> never have a concours-quality D.

> I had a bad spot last night, where I just imagined myself selling the car
> piece by piece on eBay... potentially making enough money to buy a
> car in better shape...but I guess I'll just try to hang in there & build
the
> best car I can with the resources I have. I can't expect anything more
> of myself than that.

Dave,
I think that sometimes a Concours D is highly overrated. I know it's
been defended to the death, but sometimes I feel like a Concours D might not
be the safest on the road. To me it seems more worthwhile to own a DeLorean,
practically constructed from one's own two hands. That would hold more worth
in the vehicle than anything else. At least in aesthetic and sentimental
value. The worth of a fully restored D can run between thirty and
fifty-thousand dollars. The worth of a D built up by one's self, and almost
literally from scratch is priceless.
More into the actual substance of the topic, why would you leave your D
to sit outside and bear the harsh elements, in its already depreciated (used
to illustrate only) state? Wouldn't that be likened to sending a dying man
out to meet the firing squad? Don't mean to sound harsh, but it is a concern
I'd have for a D in the state yours is in. I'm sure you have good call, just
being the inexperienced D enthusiast I am, I'd like the info. Thanks.

Yukio
Kahului, HI
VIN# - still lookin