[DML] HTML and Quotes

Dear List,

I have been reading this list for the past three months and I would
like to thank everyone for all the info you've provided me with.
I hope to buy a "D" within the next half year and thanks to the list
(among others) I now know what to look for and what I want...

I have allways read all messages with pleasure, helping out where I
can, but lately it seems as if everyone qoutes ALL previous relies on
any given subject,
only to add maybe two or three lines of comment. To make this worse,
these
messages are often repeated in HTML folowing the plain-text message.

god exapmple of this occurred in last friday's digest (15 october
1999),
message #3829 (please do not take this personally, it is just an
example):

Robert's post was only 12 lines long, including quotes and linebreaks,
but
including the HTML-version it grew to 47 lines, almost 4 times as much
(all of
this excluding the inevitable headers)

I looked it up and in the digest of 7 september 1999 the last message
(#2828)
states the "acceptable posting policies", posted by our
moderating-team, of which I would like to qoute the folowing:

> (5) KISS -- Keep It Short and Simple. Trim quoted material, and
keep
> your signatures short.

This does not seem to be happening anymore.
I happen to know that this HTML cannot be edited or scrapped by the
moderators; they can only (dis)approve a post.

Therefor I see it as a task of us, the listmembers, to live up t the
rules.
Please trim your quotes: if you want to react to a post, quote only
what you are replying to, not the complete message.
Try to avoid using HTML; most HTML-capable mailers (like Netscape and
OutLook) make URLs and mail-addresses clickable, even in a
plaintext-mesage.
DO NOT attach anything to your posts; these are included as code, not
as attachment and since the digest is one enormous mail, most decoders
do not understand where the code starts or ends: Attachments don't work.

As the moderating-team pointed out several times; the vaul is ideal for
posting pictures and links... You can find it at http://www.egroups.com
/docvault/dmcnews/

All of the above is just plain experience;
this i what I "suffer" from and I know that I am not the only one.
The moderators are busy enough as it is, so I hope at least some of you
act on this mail so the list can stay nice and readable for everyone
regardless what mailer they use.

Thanks for reading on this far,

JAN van de Wouw
The Netherlands