[DML] The first DeLorean sold...

Someone asked me about the first DeLorean publicly sold, and I sifted
through the warrantycards that we have on file, and the earliest "date of
sale" that I found was for VIN 00910, on June 17, 1981. Interestingly
enough, the car was sold from Don Darr Pontiac in St. Louis, Missouri to a
gentleman in Beverly Hills, California. One can only imagine what he
must've paid for the car.

The earliest VIN I have a warranty card for is 00635, which sold on August
31, 1981 from Perkins Motor Company in Colorado Springs, Colorado.

Many of the early VINs were used within the company or assigned to vendors
of the company for testing and evaluation. A company memo dated 12/31/81
lists *145* DeLoreans as "Company Cars/Assigned Vehicles". A guy called
this morning looking for a warranty card for his very early 81, #00686, and
we had no card for it because it was a company car, actually assigned to
Eugene Cafiero, the first CFO of the DMC.

Some other examples include:

1759 assigned to ABC for the TV show Dynasty
5037 assigned to Sammy Davis, Jr.
1585 assigned to Smokey Yunick
502, 528, 530 and 558 all assigned to Legend Industries

I'd be interested in knowing if anyone actually took delivery of their car
earlier than 6/17/81.

James Espey
DeLorean Motor Company
Houston, Texas