[DML] Re: Fiberglass panels (was body panels)

[DML] Re: Fiberglass panels (was body panels)

> and I was wondering if their was a possiblity of
> creating fiberglass panels for the D. [SNIP]
> Would it be difficult to create a mold from existing
> stainless panels , and manufacture fiberglass panels
> for the D that could be painted, without sacrificing
> the supply of stainless panels?

I believe my limited experience in the plastics industry is just enough to answer this
question. In short, it should be possible to make a mold to manufacture fiberglass body
panels for *much* less money than a die to stamp stainless steel panels.

This mold would probably be created from scratch, not an impression from an existing stainless
panel. But for a few thousand dollars a good pattern maker should be able to make an adequate
mold for a limited run of fiberglass lay-up of one body panel.

Hypothetically, if you put fiberglass left front fenders on DeLoreans it will have an unknown
detrimental effect on safety. It will cause the left front to be lighter weight than the
right front and reduce crash energy absorption at the same time.

- Mike Substelny