[DML] Re: Spare Keys

Hi,

I'm the one who wrote the earlier post. I stand by my recomendation to use
a good locksmith instead of Wal-Mart. YMMV of course, but I had a lousy
experience TWICE with them, and they had the new cutting system. This was
just earlier this year and I had noticed the new machine and asked about
it. They extolled the virtues of it and told me how well it worked.

Well I went back the following Saturday. I got 8 keys cut. Two each for a
house door, a garage door, and two cars. Out of the 8 keys, only 4 worked
the first time. I have no idea how he managed to mess up two of these. When
comparing the keys it looks as though he did not seat the blank deeply
enough into the machine. On the other two keys, he had chosen the wrong
blanks. They were very similar, but the groove pattern was different enough
that they wouldn't even insert into the lock. No matter how accurate the
cutting machine is, it still has to have someone who can use it properly!!
This particular operator was High School aged, and was busy talking to one
of the other employees.

Second time I had two more house keys cut for a different house, at a
different Wal-Mart a few weeks later. Wrong blanks again. Once again a
younger, probably inexperienced person doing it.

I've had numerous keys cut over the years at locksmiths. So far I've never
had one that didn't work. I know they make mistakes too, but so far they've
done better. They are usually MUCH more experienced with keys and locks and
can do a far better job of matching up keys.

Mark N
VIN 6820