[DML] Re: Re:Fuel Odor

>My situation for the last three summers and just yesterday it happened again,
>is that when the ambient temperature gets very hot at extremes above the 88
>degrees, there is strong smell of gasoline in the interior of my DeLorean.
>This smell is strongest when creeping in traffic or standing with the engine
>running, after a long run or several hour hours of usage. This doesn't
>happen in the cooler ambient temperatures. This condition leads me to
>believe that the odor of the gas may be coming form the area of the tank --
>the front of the vehicle?

Anyone with experienced answers?

>Kayo Ong
>#05508
>Lic 9D NY

Kayo,

I was having a similar problem last summer.

After checking everything else, especially the fuel pump boot and hoses, I
checked the cap on the fuel gauge sending unit on the fuel tank. It seemed
tight, but I opened the plastic ring very carefully with a set of large
channel locks, checked the rubber gasket (which appeared to be OK), then
carefully retightened the ring.

The smells ended.

Steve Jarvis