[DML] Re: Angle drive problems again!!??!!

[DML] Re: Angle drive problems again!!??!!

At 11:36 PM 6/25/99 -0500, you wrote:

Snip................................................

I know that the angle drive works (until you hook up the speedo cable) I know that the plastic cap is attached firmly to the spindle. Could someone please tell me what I'm missing? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

Duke

reply:

hello Duke,

Yep I can help, I have gone through half a dozen angle drives and had your exact problem.

The problem is most likely the lubricant in the drive cables or the bushing in the angle drive. The angle drive can seam fine when not all cinched up and connected, but when there is any angular force on it, the worm gear can get very tight.
So hear is what I did to solve the problem.

1. Flushed out all the old lubricant from both the upper and lower drive cables.
(this takes quite a bit of effort, you must clean all the old dry thick grease out of the cable outer sheath and out of the inner drive spring - most failures are of the twisted out or rusty drive cable, next spun out plastic drive cup hole, and finally damaged or sheared worm or sprocket gear. All of which are the result of binding of the drive spring)
2. Used white lithium grease for the replacement lubricant.
(others will telly to use a verity of greases, I tried several always with the same results, twisted broken drive spring cables and ripped out angle drive gears. Once I used the lithium the failures stopped)
3. Got an angle drive bracket from PJ Grady.
You can get this unit from DMC Houston as well.
4. Reinstalled the whole speedo system using the lithium on every thing.
Don't force any thing, use finger power to ensure that each drive spring cable snaps in to the square drive holes in the Lambda counter and the drive cup (goes on wheel)
5. Install the speedo cable bracket with the cable running through the loop in the cable bracket. I used two heavy duty black plastic hand cuffs to secure the
speedo cable to the bracket so that there will be no shearing forces on the angle drive housing.
6. Replaced the white plastic drive cup with grease in the square hole.
Unless the one you have is new, get a new one and save the old one as a back-up. Weakened nylon can not be detected by eye, it just will get soft and start letting the drive spring cable spin.
7. Tested by hand spinning the wheel with tire installed using a mirror to watch the speedometer.

While the whole speedo inner spring cable should be free, it is almost impossible to test with the wheel off. Putting the wheel on and spinning will tell you that all connections are made.

I am sure there are other ways to do this, but the above worked for me. My last cable has now lasted almost a year.

Lee

Radiance Software Int. Leader in VRML Authoring software Over 200,000 copies distributed

EMMY Winner
Best Technical Achievement
(computer generated effects)

1726 Francisco Street Berkeley CA. 94703 1-510-649-9118
lseiler@xxxx http://www.radiance.com offices: California, Florida, Tokyo Jp.