[DML] Re: Custom Radio Plate?

The design utilized a "stock" panel. The basic crux of the mod is the
reinforcement panel. In order to install a DIN type unit, you have to machine a
nice neat square opening for it. This is particularly difficult in that you have
to remove most of the panel between the radio and the AC louvers. This strip is
so thin that even if you were able to keep from cutting all the way through, the
piece left between the louvers and the radio is so flimsy, it gives no support to
the top of the radio or the bottom of the louvers. This mod includes a support
design that can be screwed/pop riveted to the dash panel and incorporates
machined openings for the bottom tabs of the ac louvers.

I considered making a drop in replacement with the openings cut and reinforced
for radio conversions. Believe it or not, stainless steel would have been the
least expensive, but an "original" style black, even in quantities of 100 would
have to sell for at least $250.00 each. You can probably buy a modified one
complete with radio from steve wynne for a much better price.