[DML] Re: Where to place subwoofer(s) in my D

[DML] Re: Where to place subwoofer(s) in my D

Thank you everyone for the useful information.
I have solved my problem as to where I wanted to place my subwoofer. Heading into the project I knew I did not want to have any of the stereo components on the cargo shelf or in plain view. All Modifications did not permanently change the interior of my car.

Components I used.
Pioneer CD player http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/car/deh-p8000R.htm
Rockford Fosgate 400a4 http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/home/PressRelease/multiamp.html 50watts X 4
KICKER 12" Solo-Baric http://www.kicker.com/1999/subs/ required .88 cubic feet of sealed airspace.
MB quart mids and tweets replaced my 4" and 4"X10"s http://www.mbquart.com/mobil/individual.html

I mounted the speakers and the CD player in the respective stock locations. I placed the amplifier without the decorative covers under the spare tire. I used the crossover on the amp for both high and low pass. I bridged two channels of the amp for the bass and used the other two cannels (high pass) for the mids and tweeters.

I decided to the utilize the locking storage compartment behind the drivers seat. Unable to seal off the storage area I removed the locking cover and drivers seat, masked off the interior with tinfoil, duct tape and a blue tarp. I used epoxy resign and fiberglass cloth to create the largest form fitting enclosure possible falling within the .88 cubic feet of air space required. I removed the partially complete fiberglass mold put it on a bench and added three more layers then cut off all the funky bits. I added three inch edges to the enclosure so I could mount the enclosure to the body of the car and a 19" X 14" 14" piece of 1" partial board. I cut a 11" speaker hole in the right hand side then rounded the perimeter edges. I finished the board and speaker by covering with a gray coloured speaker cloth. I mounted the fiberglass enclosure to the body of the car with 4 1 2/5" screws. I used fast drying silicone sealant to aid in sealing the board and speaker to the enclosure. I used 8 2" screws to secure to the body of the car and the enclosure.

I have pictures if any one is interested. This took the better part of an afternoon, it looks and sound very nice.

~Bryn

eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/dmcnews