[DML] Re: Smoke and Exhaust

My guess is the first time was cause by the oil you put down the
intake. The second time may be the additive you put into the tank
has somehow separated and was drawn into the fuel system or
it could have been some residual oil pooled somewhere in the
intake that was dumped out when you took the car for a spin.

Check you oil often for level and color. You shouldn't be gaining
oil and it should not turn chocolate brown and frothy. You should
also check your coolant for evidence of oil. You could also take
the car in and have a leakdown test to determine if you have
problems with the rings or valves.

Mike Griese
Storage Software Development Manager
IBM Storage Systems Division
Rochester, MN 55901
Internet: magriese@xxxx
voice: (507)253-1853
fax: (507)253-2880

"Michael Fischer" <mfischer@xxxx> on 05/25/99 01:20:06 PM

Please respond to dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxx

cc: (bcc: Mike Griese/Rochester/IBM)
Subject: [DML] Smoke and Exhaust

Well, after sitting through a couple of winters in my garage, I was able to get
my DeLorean already for a summer of fun (hopefully)

When I had parked it, I had drained the coolant and drained the tank. During
it's storage I had replaced them pesky trailing arm bolts and the various
filters. (Fuel, Air, Oil)
Additionally I had used BarDahl's 'Top Oil' fuel stabilizer in case I didn't get
the tank quite empty and had sent some oil down the air intake to lube the upper
cylinders.

So, upon reactivating, I fill up the tank with gas, (mixed with a bottle of the
'Top Oil') changed the oil and refilled the coolant. Started her up and bleed
the cooling system.

All sounds fine and dandy, except (oh no) that when I started her up, the
exhaust was very noticeable, i.e. billowing clouds of smoke, white smoke. But I
let her run, bleeding the coolant and waiting for the fans to kick in. Still
smoking up a storm.....

The next day, I started her up again, and low and behold, the exhaust was nice
and clear, normal even, runs beautiful smooth and steady. So thought I'd go for
a spin around the block, and again, about half way around the block, the smoke
was coming from the pipes again.

Checked the oil and it seems clear, not obvious traces of coolant.

Any ideas on what it might be? Any courses of action?

Thanks All.

The Weather Underground. We provide weather across the world.
Visit http://clickhere.egroups.com/click/48

eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/dmcnews

[...]

eGroups.com FREE email Newsletters delivered right to your in-box.
CNET, USAToday, RollingStone, and more?
Click Here Now!

eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/dmcnews

___________=_ADZZXXH