[DML] Re: Front end coil spring trouble

First the caveat - if you don't know what you're doing and/or are not comfortable with the danger, leave this to a suspension shop. That being stated:

I have replaced my front springs as well, and did not see this to be quite as much trouble as described. The secret, as usual, is the use of proper tools. The absolute best tool is a Snap-on spring compressor, very hard to find and expensive. This is a one-piece affair that grabs the spring from the outside, bothe sides at once.

I used a McPherson Strut (2-piece, 3-finger) compressor, installed upside down from the normal use. Whatever you do, do NOT try and use a 3-piece compressor. I believe that this is illustrated on Knut's document, but I had a lot of trouble with one of the compression screws slipping off.

I'll try posting a picture of how this goes together tomorrow - I'll have to get the photo to scan.

eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/group/dmcnews