[DML] Re: HEADLIGHTS/LICENSE PLATE

Don,

Hi, this is Kayo.

I do believe that Sylvania was the DMC factory's issued headlights.

As far as front plates, I suggest that you don't drill the bumper to
accommodate the plate. There is no need for the drilling. Drilling won't
hold the plate permanently. It won't stay and ruin the bumper. What you
should do is to fabricate a front plate holder bracket, or buy one from the
DeLorean parts houses, (Rob from PJ Grady has them. I think for under $40?).

To fabricate one is easy. It requires cutting to the pattern, three simple
bends, six holes to be drilled and paint it black. If you don't have the
time or facilities to make one -- buy one. The material will cost under
$10. More likely $5. Or you can get a piece of "scrape" metal. Just cut,
bend and drill to shape, paint it black and mount it. Once mounted you will
not see it, unless you kneel or lay on the ground. Total time to fabricate
one is under one hour. After the paint dries, mount the bracket and plate
onto the car will take under 20 minutes.

Whether you make or buy one. Mount the bracket onto the car's front bumpers
using the four hold down bolts. Next, mount the front plate onto the bracket
holder using two license bolts. Plate should be mounted by the two bottom
holes. I would not suggest drilling and screwing the other two bolts into the
bumper that holds the "upper holes" of the plate. (This will defeat the
purpose of the front plate bracket.) What you can do, is used double
mounting tape in between the plates and bumper. This will be strong enough
to prevent movement of the plate and it will also make the installation non
permanent with no damages to the bumper. You can remove the tape with spirit
based cleaner, it will not harm the bumper to restore the original looks.

I have mounted my front plate onto my car in a same way, but a different
position. I have used the plate holding bracket unit. I mounted the plate
by the upper holes of the front plates onto the holes of the bracket, thus
lowering the plate. This will not give the front plate any support and it
will hit and scrape the ground. What I did do to the bracket to give it
support, was to bend the bracket's plate base to a "steeper angle." (You can
double stick tape the bracket to prevent flopping. I have silicone glued my
bracket into place -- more sturdier.) The plate will have a steeper angle
when mounted. This greater rake angle will make the plate streamlined with
the car's lines and will clear the ground. Mounting it this way also
prevents other vehicles from banging into the front plates when they are
backing up. No dented or mangle plates. If you wonder how it looks, just
ask and I will e-mail you a picture of my car with this setup since the DML
site can't display photo.

Don, I hope this all helps,

Kayo Ong
#05508