[DML] Re: Lowering a D

When I purchased my DMC, it had the cut and swap springs in them. I was pretty
happy with the performance, and the look. The car had about 2 inches of
clearance, and I did have a problem with some big speed bumps, even if I just
rolled over them. I rarely had a problem even with some road dips and potholes.

My only complaint was that with the front springs in the back, there was not
enough stiffness there. Of course, the front was VERY stiff.

I spoke to a number of people about it, (and there was some discussion on the
list) about it. The story I put together was that the entire car was lifted for
US requirements, not just the front.

Steve, of DMC Houston had some springs made that he claims are exact
reproductions (from the same design, and factory) as the original lotus design.
I purchased a set from him (4 springs).

PJ Grady installed the springs for me last year. The back of the car is about
the same height as it was with the front spring in there, but it is now much
stiffer. I was very happy about this. The front however, was almost 2 inches
higher than with the cut rear springs, and it was not as stiff as I was used to.

With a few miles on the new springs, and a opportunity to see the car next to
other Deloreans this past weekend, I am more comfortable with the new springs. I
dont know if I would do it all again because of the cost involved, but the back
of the car is more stable now. I still think the front "looks" to high. Steve
claims that this is the original design springs, and it makes the car level.
The car is in fact level now, and it was not with the cut springs.

As I said, I am pretty satisfied with the DMC Houston springs. I do have some
issues but not enough to spend the time and money necessary to try and make it
perfect (in my eyes...).

Dont cut your springs. If you want a set of cut springs to try, I'll sell you
mine.

eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/dmcnews