[DML] Re: Lowering a D

In a message dated 4/20/99 7:29:40 PM Eastern Daylight Time, Jus4sho@xxxx
writes:

<< I'd like to lower my D from its original ride height. I've read that you
can
put the rear springs in the front and put the front in the rear (after
cutting 3-1/2 coils out). I also know that lowering coils can be
purchased.
I'd like to hear from someone who did the "switch and cut" method and what
their impression of the results was. Final car stance? Ride quality? etc.

Mechanically speaking, I know it's "proper" to buy the lowering springs, but
is there anything really wrong with this method? >>

Steve,I did that to my friends Delorean,I cut the 3-1/2 coils off the rear
springs using a die-grinder and a cut off wheel,that kept me from using any
heat on the coils and losing and strength and rigity,It was a bear to install
the springs on the front I highly recommend renting or buying a professional
spring compressor ,and not use those cheap $20.00 spring compressors,the car
looks great lowered,I looked at that Delorean about a month ago,(it sits
stored in his basement next to his furnace-(REALLY) unused,but the only
problem was that the springs make a boinky noise
that can only be heard while driving and only from inside the car.

Claude
vin000570

ps.I did the springs back around 1990

eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/dmcnews