[DML] Re: Valve adjustment? (In response to DMC Joe and David T)

[DML] Re: Valve adjustment? (In response to DMC Joe and David T)

Matt - I can relate to the tone of your response, but the question
that you ask below cannot be answered in a meaningful manner via
email.  The only really "adequate" way is to feel the drag of the
feeler gauge through the gap after it has been adjusted correctly.
That "feel" is what guides people to the proper adjustment.  That
said, the feeler gauge will have a slight drag to it when it is
inserted between the two surfaces (cam lobe and rocker arm).  If the
gap is too tight, you will still be able to pull the gauge through
due to the oil on the surfaces.  However, the drag will increase.
If the gap is too large, there will be no feeling of dragging when
the gauge is moved in and out.  With the engine set at TDC on #1,
half of the valves will be "loose" (ie valves closed), and half will
be tight (ie valves at some stage of opening).  You set the "loose"
ones, keeping in mind that some are intake and some are exhaust,
rotate the engine until the two groups swap, and set the other half
which are now "loose".  If you get the valve lash (or gap) too
tight, you can cause a valve to get burned because it may not close
completely when the engine is hot.  If it is too loose, it will make
noise, and will affect the performance of that cylinder.  As David
noted, the gap changes when you tighten the locknut on the adjusting
screw, due to tolerance take-up in the threads.  You have to "lead
your target" somewhat by figuring out which way it changes, and
adjust the initial setting accordingly.  This will take some
experience, which you are determined to get for yourself (which is
fine ... nobody else to blame if you burn a valve).  The valve lash
adjustment is done with the engine cold, but all settings actually
change when the engine gets hot.  All mechanics, whether
professional or shade-tree, have the opportunity for their first
valve lash adjustment.  Now is your time ... go for it.

FWIW - I hired a mechanic to do the first valve adjustement on
Winged1 shortly after I bought the car in 1988.  I watched him do
the whole thing, and asked to feel the feeler gauge after each valve
was done.  That way I was able to get a feel for the correct feel,
if you're picking up what I'm laying down here.  I have since done
several others ... once more for my car, and for other PNDC members.

Toby Peterson  VIN 2248 "Winged1"
DeLorean Parts Northwest, LLC
www.delorean-parts.com

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Matt Spittle" <supermatty@xxxx>