[DML] Bill Robertson's engine(s) (was Chevy Engine Swap)

[DML] Bill Robertson's engine(s) (was Chevy Engine Swap)

I thought I'd take this time to clear the air some about Bill
Robertson's car and the engines it has had. I hear people talk all
of the time about the "crazy" things Bill does to his engine.

First of all his DeLorean came with a replacement Renault PRV
installed. His car's original DeLorean PRV melted down sometime in
the mid '80s, and at that time it was replaced with a Renault 2.7
Liter PRV rated at 145hp. He didn't do this to his car, that's the
way it came. Though at first glance his engine looked original, it
in fact had no Lambda and was altogether a different engine.

Second he didn't carburete his PRV. He bought a crate carbureted
Pugeot engine off ebay that he installed in his car. His original
plan was to buy a new DeLorean without an engine and transplant it
into that. But his Renault PRV developed a Valdeze-esque oil leak
and so Bill decided to just go ahead and use that engine on his
current DeLorean. He didn't hack apart a stock DeLorean engine and
shove in a carbureter, he implanted into his DeLorean a PRV that was
DESIGNED and ENGINEERED to be carbureted. The only changes Bill made
to this engine was to replace the original engine's single barrel
carb with a double barrel. This engine was actually different enough
from the stock DeLorean's that he had to fabricate new motor mounts.

All I'm asking is before you judge Bill have your facts straight
first. He does think out of the box and I think that's a good thing.
People complain all of the time about lack of performance options,
and lack of variety of places to buy parts for their cars, yet they
denounce people like Bill, VideoBob, and John Hervey. But it's these
people who question the status quo that will bring more options to
the DeLorean table. Even though occasionally guys like these will
fall on their faces with something they try, but their thinking
outside of the box benefits us all. I guess all I'm asking for is a
little more respect for our fellow owners, and to have your facts
straight before you criticize one another. We really should all be
allies in this DeLorean thing.

Louie Golden
VIN 5252 Charlotte, NC