[DML] NOS vs New

Group,
I get several questions about the words we throw around and
sometimes they need a little explaining to some of the new people
getting into automotive.
The one I get the most is NOS ( New old Stock and New ( Like in
brand new ).
Be carefull with NOS inventory, especially items that contain seals,
rubber or flexable diaphrams. Items like this will dry out over time
and will leak or only work for a short time and quit. Example:
clutch master cylinders, accumlators, brake master cylinders and
clutch slave cylinders. These items may have been on the shelf for
20+ years and the price you pay for someone selling it cheaper to
get rid of them won't be worth the trouble of replacing the part for
the sake of saving a few dollars.  Ask about warranty or replacement
time if it's NOS stock.
I hear this often about clutch master cylinders and accumulators.
The customer say's he just put one in 6 months ago and it's already
leaking. More that likley he got a New old stock. ( NOS ) not brand
new fresh inventory.
My point is just be carefull about the word ( NEW ) being used and
the company should say (NOS ).
Normally metal parts that are NOS are good if they have no rust.
Remember,parts are  ( not ) stored in climate control warehouses and
the heat and cold over years will take it's tole.
So, Before you buy you may want to find out is it Brand new like in
the last year or so or is't it NOS like old inventory.
John Hervey
www.specialtauto.com