[DML] Re: cold starting

The CPR really isn't doing much when actually starting the motor when
cold. The motor is really starting on the cold start system and the
ignition system. If the cold start valve is spraying then maybe you
have a problem in the ignition system. Check the ballast resistor and
the bypass relay and it's circuitry to be sure that it is working. In
theory (and practice if it's working) the bypass relay jumps out a
portion of the ballast resistor to give you a hotter spark when
cranking. If this problem happened just after you replaced some parts
then maybe you need to go over that work again. Make sure all the
spark plug wires are snapped tight onto the spark plugs. If you
stretched one of the wires you may have damaged it and now it has
failed. The insides of the ignition wires is rather fragile and will
break if you pull on them. You won't see it from the outside. The CPR
is also know as the warm-up regulater becasue that is really what it
does, it controls the fuel system during warm-up. It has a minimal
effect on the cold start system. Another thing you can try is turn the
key on and off without cranking the motor a couple of times. Then try
starting it. If that helps let me know.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757