Re: [DML] Replacing exhaust manifold gasket

Re: [DML] Replacing exhaust manifold gasket

After over 20 years of owning DeLoreans, I'ved replaced the exhaust
gaskets at least twice.

I've found the easiest way to assure that the nuts or studs come out
easily and without breaking is to first start with a few days of
treatment with a good penetrant.  If you run the car and burn off the
penetrant, that's OK - the heat actually increased the penetration.
Just be sure to reapply penetrant when the manifold cools.

After the penetrant (such as "Knocker-Loose") has had a chance to work,
I use a toothbrush sized wire brush to clean the projecting threads of
the stud bolts. This keeps the rust from binding as the nuts are being
removed.

Finally, when I am ready to remove the nuts, I tap the nuts with a
hammer a few times to break the thread seal and then heat with a
propane torch using mape gas rather than propane.  Mape gas creates
more heat than propane (be sure the tip will take it).  Once thoroughly
heated, remove the nut.  Chances are it will spin off without trouble,
or the stud will come out.  All the better if the stud comes out; you
can then install the Grady stainless stud.

As someone else mentioned, reinstall with anti-sieze.  I did the first
time, making the second time a breeze.

You might want to remove all of the studs an replace with stainless.
The risk is breaking a stud and having a difficult time drilling and
retapping.  Worse yet, you might break off an "easy-out."  Patience,
good penetrant and heat are again  your best friends.

Woody

http://mail.yahoo.com