[DML] Re: D that has been sitting for years...

[DML] Re: D that has been sitting for years...

Expect to have to do a complete rebuild on the brake system and you
should plan on replacing ALL the belts and hoses. Make sure all the
recalls were done and talk to one of the venders about the elecrical
updates you should do. Don't even try driving on the tires, just use
them to get the car home and have them replaced as soon as you can.
You should be OK with the fuel system but you can expect to have to
clean out the tank, replace any deteriorated rubber boots and hoses,
accumulater, and fuel filter. After you get it running do a COMPLETE
service, changing the oil, oil filter, spark plugs, cap, rotor,
ignition wires, O2 sensor, and air filter. $3800 sounds cheap, I
suspect as you go along there will be some surprises. You may find the
car had some problems that were never attended to like a faulty shift
computer, worn steering rack, etc. Then there are the new problems
that will surface like torn C/V boots, oil sender leak, bent trailing
arm bolts, dirty wiring grounds, bad fuel tank sender, broken angle
drive, etc. Many of these are not expensive, just that the problems
never seem to end for a while until you get ahead of them. In many
cases a car that was sitting in storage can be worse than a car that
was moving no matter how pretty it may look. If you are working with
Houston then you are in good hands, at least you aren't in your
neighborhood garage with Gomer learning on it! Just be aware that you
should be able to afford double the initial estimate and then you will
be pleasantly surprised if it comes in lower. The first thing to buy
are the manuals if the car doesn't come with them. A lift is nice but
you can do almost anything with a GOOD floor jack, a creeper, and a
set of 4 sturdy jackstands. Join the DoD and find someone nearby to
help you. Go to dmcnews.com for the DoD and a big technical resource.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Garrett Rudkin" <agentprelude@xxxx>