      1. AC conversion again!
           From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj@xxxxxxxxx>
      2. RE: Vacuum leak solved...
           From: "Scott Gardner" <gardners14@xxxxxxx>
      3. Re: sad De Lorean on Ebay...
           From: "henryparticelli" <Stockcar99h@xxxxxxx>
      4. Re: AC conversion again!
           From: "content22207" <brobertson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
      5. Re: Vacuum leak solved...
           From: "content22207" <brobertson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
      6. My no start situation...
           From: "TalksToGod" <5n-@xxxxxxx>
      7. Conflicting Advice. Who's right?
           From: "Rustproof" <Rustproof@xxxxxxxxxxx>
      8. hard start
           From: "Jonas P" <Delorean3543@xxxxxxxxx>
      9. Re: Vacuum leak solved...
           From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty@xxxxxxxxxxx>
     10. RE: hard start
           From: "John Hervey" <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
     11. RE: My no start situation...
           From: "John Hervey" <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
     12. Re: Conflicting Advice. Who's right?
           From: "therealdmcvegas" <DMCVegas@xxxxxxxx>
     13. Re: My no start situation...
           From: Gus Schlachter <gus@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Message: 1
   Date: Mon, 26 May 2003 13:19:25 -0700 (PDT)
   From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: AC conversion again!

For what must be the 20'th or so time on this list..
YOU CANT MIX R12 and R134!  Especially the OIL'S!

If you are switching between freon/oil types and do
not completely FLUSH the old oil out of the system
(there is a specific machine and chemical for this
process.. it is not the same as a regular evacuation),
you will eventually clog the system and destroy the
compressor.  Yea, it will get cold for a year or so...
 but in the long run your looking at expensive
repairs.

There is a new oil out that is compatible with both
R12 and R134, but your 1981-83 system has the old
fashion R12 style.  If you convert it improperly, your
looking for trouble.

--- content22207 <brobertson@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
<SNIP>
> Hopefully will drop as passenger compartment cools
> down. Since we're
> entering A/C season, my R134 methods are written up
> on DMCNEWS website
> for like minded. Generate a lot of controversy among
> R12 purists, but
> the way I figure: if your system isn't putting out
> now, what do you
> have to lose? Only change is freon itself (all
> factory components
> re-used). If you don't like R134 performance, bleed
> it back out and go
> back to R12. Difference is about $120 (to R134's
> benefit)...
>
> Bill Robertson

http://search.yahoo.com

Message: 2
Is 52 degrees the temperature at the vents with the A/C on?  I've only
worked on the A/C systems on a few cars, but that seems pretty high.
What's the ambient temperature where you are?

Scott Gardner

Related note: removed A/C compressor altogether for driver's side
valve cover. Replaced O rings this time (58 cents at the hardware
store -- what WAS I thinking). Vacuumed system and recharged this
afternoon. Holding steady @ 35 PSI (low side) and 52 degrees.
Hopefully will drop as passenger compartment cools down. Since we're
entering A/C season, my R134 methods are written up on DMCNEWS website
for like minded. Generate a lot of controversy among R12 purists, but
the way I figure: if your system isn't putting out now, what do you
have to lose? Only change is freon itself (all factory components
re-used). If you don't like R134 performance, bleed it back out and go
back to R12. Difference is about $120 (to R134's benefit)...

Bill Robertson

Message: 3