      1. Re:Was discharge rate for stored battery- Now Battery Care
           From: jtrealty@xxxxxxxxxxx
      2. Re: oil plug socket
           From: Dick Ryan <deloreanbiker@xxxxxxxxx>
      3. RE: new owner/fuel pump problem
           From: Darryl Tinnerstet <darryl@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
      4. Do regulators/solenoids at same time?
           From: nbrommer@xxxxxxxx
      5. re: oil plug socket
           From: "Eric J. Hennebury" <ehennebury@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
      6. Travel buddy to Ireland? (update)
           From: "Dan RC30" <Danrc30@xxxxxxxxxxx>
      7. Ireland Tour.
           From: Marc A Levy <malevy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
      8. Fuel Injector Test
           From: Jim Strickland <ihaveanaccount@xxxxxxxx>
      9. Re: Do regulators/solenoids at same time?
           From: Soma576@xxxxxxx
     10. Spring Social/Hotel Info...
           From: "Dan RC30" <Danrc30@xxxxxxxxxxx>
     11. Nose bra?
           From: "DENNIS C. SCHLIECKAU,JR." <dcsj@xxxxxxxxxx>
     12. Re: Fuel Injector Test
           From: jtrealty@xxxxxxxxxxx
     13. Re: Typical discharge rate for a stored battery
           From: CBL302@xxxxxxx
     14. Re:  Ireland Tour  & cheap www. site
           From: deloreanernst@xxxxxxx
     15. Who owns a DMC in SD
           From: s_spartz@xxxxxxxxxxx

Message: 1
   Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2001 03:51:48 -0000
   From: jtrealty@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re:Was discharge rate for stored battery- Now Battery Care

The best way to care for your battery if you don't intend to use the
car for more than around 30 days is to remove it from the car. It
gives you the chance to clean everything and keep it in a warm place
charged up. As a battery discharges naturaly (I am not sure of the
rate) the temperature at which it can freeze goes up. So if you left
the battery to go dead and the car is stored outside in the cold the
battery will not only be dead but will have frozen. Even though it
will thaw out when warm it is now damaged and will not hold a full
charge if it holds any at all. Never store on concrete-put it on a
piece of wood.(I don't know why but it will discharge faster if left
directly on concrete.) Once a month hook up a trickle charger for 1
day to keep it fully charged. Before reinstalling load test and
clean.After 4-5 years suspect that the battery will not hold 80% full
charge. If you are careful never to let the battery discharge more
than 50% it can last as long as 10 years.(you can't let it overheat
either but on a Delorean that's not usually a problem!) A bad
alternater can overcharge it though and that will cause it to overheat
and kill it quicker than sh-t.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757

--- In dmcnews@xxxx, CBL302@xxxx wrote:
> The Golden rule to remember about automotive batteries(lead acid
> batteries)is that they discharge at the rate of 1%(one percent)(for
> good,fully charged battery)a day,that means that if you let your car
> sit for a typical month(31 days)your battery is 31%(thirty one
> percent) discharged,after 100 days of sitting unstarted your battery
> is 100 percent discharged.It also depends on your climate,the colder
> the climate(the lower the temperature) the more CCA's(Cold Cranking
> Amps) you will need to crank over your engine,(meaning that a
battery

Message: 2