[DMCForum] Re: Who has dampening door struts?

[DMCForum] Re: Who has dampening door struts?

Shannon B,

> 1b. Re: Who has dampening door struts?
> Posted by: "Shannon" birdwells@xxxxxxx birdwell77095
> Date: Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:08 pm ((PDT))
>
> I have the automatic door openers also. If my doors have been closed
> for a long time the doors won't open up. If I open the doors and then
> close them, the doors will usually open when I push the button to open
> them. I think the struts just lose some of the compression. When the
> doors open they go up all the way so there's no sagging.

> I'm wondering if the door seals are causing the doors to
> stick too much.

I would also guess your door seals are causing it to stick. This happened to my
friend with his. For the fun of it I often lube my door seals to extend their
life and help with the opening via remote.

> I heard that
> the struts only get the doors open but the torsion bars actually get
> them up all the way but this doesn't make sense. It seem that they work
> together.

Just the opposite. The tortion bars open the door from closed, kick it open and
the gas struts take over after the tortion bar. To see this remove a gas strut
(be ready for a heavy door!) and the door should only hang about 5 or so inches
away from being closed.

> Probably the best thing to do is to lighten the weight
> of the doors by replacing the solenoids with the actuators. Would this
> help?

It would help but I'm not sure how much. Try lube' n your seals up or thinner
seals. I know that Grady sells two or three seal thickness's.

> Shannon
> VIN 16113

Shannon Y

<*> Your email settings: