[DMCForum] Frame-up restorations/refurbished cars

[DMCForum] Frame-up restorations/refurbished cars

Maybe someone here can give an opinion..   Dave is
moderating this week, and he is usually fair (I
think).  He has let my posts through on the recent
subject of the NADA guide and related discussion....
But for some reason, the post below has not made it to
the list (Sent twice yesterday).  I have not received
a rejection, and any note from him explaining what the
problem is.  I have tried to contact him directly, but
he has not responded.

Can any of you explain why this message would get a
"silent rejection"?  Maybe my compliment to James on
his explanation?

See Below.

--- eric@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Restored vs. Refurbished- the biggest difference
> between the two terms is who owns the car at the
> time that the wrenches are being bent on the car!

I don't think so, James made it clear there is a
difference between Restored and Refurbished.  It was
an excellent explanation.

> >Even more so, my question remains unanswered about
> why if this work is
> >done at DMCH versus some other well respected
> DeLorean >professional is it worth more?

> Please reference a direct quote of someone stating
> that- I've missed that
> posting somehow.

The direct quote is from the NADA book, where is
specifically names "DeLorean Motor Company".  I am
going to take a look at a copy of the guide later
today, and see if other cars have values listed with
names of specific vendors.  Is a Mustang restored by
XYZ worth more??

> If I had the money, I would be very proud & pleased
> to have DMC restore #4433, and at that time I would
> not consider that "a meaningless
> description" of my car's state of being.

If you go to DMCH, and ask them to "restore" a POS car
with a $100 budget, and they do....  It is really
restored?  I don't think DMCH would want you
going around bragging about how this POS is a "DMCH
Restoration".  Not good advertising for them!

> As far as the NADA representation goes, wouldn't the
> largest DeLorean
> service company have the right to make the entry for
> the DMC-12?

I don't think so..  Besides, how does one claim to be
the largest?  DMCH may have more parts, but I doubt
they have worked on as many cars as some of the other
vendors.  As the "age" of vendors go, DMCH is the new
kid on the block.

PJ Grady is the only original DeLorean dealer. If we
were to rate vendors by experience, DMCH would not be
at the top of the list..  I am not passing judgment on
the quality of DMCH's work, because I don't consider
myself an authority on it...

Authority is the key here, and DMCH is the self
proclaimed authority by virtue of the selection of a
corporate name and logo.  They use this to proclaim
that their cars MAY be worth UP TO 30% more...  Which
is a meaningless statement anyway.  This discussion
has again boiled down to misleading the public because
of corporate name confusion.

<SNIP>