issues with non-stock alternators

I have had problems getting the belt on my DeLorean to line up properly with
the alternator pulley. My car came with a Ducy alternator, and the pulley
for this lines up perfectly. I currently have installed an OEM Motorola
alternator that came from a parts car, and the pulley on this alternator
also lines up perfectly. The problem that I am having is with ALL non-OEM
alternators. It seems that only the OEM alternators have the proper
distance between the housing and the pulley. I have two of John Hervey's
alternators -- a 140 amp & a 150 amp, a Cadillac alternator that was
previously fitted to someone else's DeLorean as well as a few other GM
alternators that I made brackets to fit the DeLorean PRV. The issue with
these alternators is that the pulley sits about 4mm closer to the
alternator's housing than the OEM configuration. This isn't obvious from
casual observation, but if you look close, you will see that the belt isn't
quite straight. It isn't a big problem, but one of concern just the same
because if left alone the belt may wear prematurely. Has anyone else
noticed this problem?

Walt Tampa, FL