Re: [DMCForum] cooling system debate

> 1.  Should I run that crap removing cleaning stuff in
the cooling system to get the garbage out.

Crap is a good word for it.  Some kinds of it are meant for the block only
and not meant to be circulated through the radiator.  I think it wouldn't
hurt to run this stuff if you are replacing the radiator anyway.  I have
seen  DeLoreans with lots of sediment settling over the passenger side
engine drain plug.  In this situation I remove the drain plug only to find
that the hole is as dry as a popcorn fart.  Jab a screwdriver through
there
and you take a bath in coolant.  I find it strange that sediment like this
would be in the block yet the aluminum coolant pipes are like-new clean.
There is a second coolant drain plug on the other side of the block close
the oil pressure switch.  These have the same 8mm square fitting as the
oil
plug.

Oh, to answer your question... Yes, I think you should.

> 2.  If so, should I do it with the old hoses, flush it
and drain it and then put the new hoses on.

Yeah, there is no sense flushing your new hoses because those are clean.
And technically there is no sense in flushing your old hoses either since
you will be replacing them.  But (at least in my opinion) it is essential
remove every trace of that cleaning solution, so I would flush the system
while it is apart.

> PS. if you are in agreement with using this stuff what
brand do you recommend.

I have always liked and trusted Prestone products.  But my preference
could
be swayed easily.

Walt

<http://rd.yahoo.com/M=194081.4074964.5287182.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=170512